Saturday, November 7, 2009

City People, by Wendell and Pepper

My dad wanted us to post this stupid picture.  Apparently, some marketing lame brain thought a name for a linen cabinet should be "Edland".  If he were here, I would raise my right leg up and let him know what I think of this name on his pant leg.




Pepper and I have been debating whether we want to talk about some of the people we meet on our daily walks around our new home.  I did not want to as some people may think this sounds mean.  However, Pepper said we should tell people about our neighborhood and that we can do it and still be nice.  So, here goes....

The majority of the people here seem to be pretty normal.  Normal, but in a hurry always.  We have never seen so many people in such a hurry to get places.  If they were dogs attached to a snow sled, they could win the Iditarod. 

However, this would be a boring posting if Pep and I talked about normal every day Joe's and Jills.  Pepper and I are going to talk about four types of special people we seem to meet on a daily basis.

"Screamers".



Screamers come in all shapes and sizes.  Screamers can be male, female, white, black, Asian, short and tall.  Common to all Screamers is that they yell , red faced, at no one in particular.  Apparently, "no one" is not listening because they usually repeat the same sentence over and over.  Yesterday, one of these folks must have decided he liked something. 

"I like it!!!!"  he shouted. 

Ten seconds later..."I like it!!!!" 

A breif pause..."I like it!!!"  "I like it!!!!" 

Apparently, he liked it.  Pepper and I could not see what he was liking but he sure did!  We hope we get us a bone that tastes that good.

About a week ago, Pepper and I saw a man in the courtyard at the Opera house looking at the garbage bins.  He had a raggedy old red beach towel tucked into the back of his collar.  Every 15 seconds or would look around and shout at the top of his lungs "I AM BAT-MAN!"  "I AM BAT-MAN".  Bruce Wayne must have hit a rough spot in this bad economy because he was dumpster diving.  "I...AM...BAT-MAN!!!"


Secondly, we notice people like to nap on the street here a lot.  (Pepper, take over typing please!)


Mr. Wendell and I are no strangers to spinning three times and plopping down whereever we are for a little beauty snooze.  We view this as healthy and encourage everyone to sleep more during the day.  So, when we see people laying on the sidewalk or in doorways or on benches in the park, we just wag our tales and walk on by. 


Apparently, shopping tires people out.  Many of the nappers look like they were coming home from SafeWay.  I am not sure SafeWay appreciates them taking the shopping carts home with them, but I guess the SafeWay SuprSavr card has its privledges.  Mr. Wendell thinks they smell funny, but I think he smells funny so he shouldn't talk.


Thirdly, the people who go through garbage cans are so polite! 

Two or three times a week, Mr. Wendell and I walk by people who are going through the neighborhood garbage cans.  Two paws up and a tail wag for them!!!!  They appear to be environmentalists as they always pull recycleable cans and bottles out that careless humans have thrown away.  Also, they seem to be very polite.  They always greet people..."Good morning Ma'am!"  or "Have a nice day".  My mom tries not to be rude but she usually does not say much.  Sometimes she says Good Morning! back.  Mr. Wendell growls at them.  He is a cranky young man.  There is no use being so mean Wendell! 


Finally, old men dance in the street here! 

Today as an example, my mom, Wendell and I watched a man dancing for nearly ten minutes.  The man was dancing in front of car that was being worked on by a locksmith.  A nicely dressed man was talking with the locksmith as it looked like he may have left his keys in the car.  Apparently, Dancing Bob (my nickname for him) was doing something like an old fashioned Native American Indian rain dance in hopes that the locksmith who was working hard on the lock would be successful.  He was dancing, pointing his fingers to the sky, disco dancing, River Dancing and folding his hands in prayer as he danced.  His dancing must have been the edge...the door popped open after about ten minutes of his dancing.  Dancing must make people thirsty as this man had some white Gatorade in a brown paper bag that he was swigging from.  He was so happy when the door popped open. 

These people don't seem to pay a lot of attention to us.  Probably because Mr. Wendell growls at them.







2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised at Mr. Wendell growling at these people. He should keep in mind that it wasn't too long ago that he was on the streets too. How quickly we forget when life is good to us. I expected Pepper to be the growler because she only like special people (like grandma and grandpa (smile).)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and Aunt Nola at least they used to... sob sob

    ReplyDelete