Monday, September 14, 2009

The Crazy Horse Monument...Mr Wendell

This morning the traveling carnival bus rolled into the parking lot at the Crazy Horse Monument in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It is a short drive from Mount Rushmore and a natural next stop on the tour.



My parents thought since pets WERE allowed into the venue that they would let Pep and I take a stroll with them. My sister proved that she cannot be taken anywhere. My mom, intent on giving us some culture, loaded us up into the AT3 stroller and we headed towards the entrance. It did not take long for my sister to start whining and barking. Thinking that she would simmer down, my dad took Pepper and I into the Visitor Center. That lasted about 20 seconds. Little Miss Whiney Butt started barking at anything that moved. My mom, disgustedly sent my dad to take us both back to the RV. Where is the justice? My sister misbehaves and I get sent to my room? I am about to go Pit Bull on her.


Anyways, the Crazy Horse Monument was spectacular according to the two legged ones. The story behind it is the monument is interesting. The descendants of Crazy Horse wanted a monument to celebrate his life, his spirit and his accomplishments. They chose a engineer named Korczak to start the project.


Korczak single-handedly worked on the project the last 14 years of his life. Now his family is taking up the rest of the project. What is also remarkable is that they have turned down government grants (aka your and I's tax money) twice to the total tune of $20,000,000. It is all funded through park entrance fees and gift shop proceeds. Why self fund? The Korczaks did not want to spoil the integrity of the project. They doubt that the government has the perseverance to see the project through. It is hard to tell from the pic, but the monument will be several times larger than the Mt Rushmore Monument. (It is still about 20 years from completion.)


Here is a picture...






There is an Indian Culture museum attached to the Crazy Horse Monument Visitor Center. In it are all sorts of pictures, artifacts, books, models and other items. We all found it interesting. The Indian way of life is a true American cultural heritage that we must preserve. Looking at the displays, you cannot help but respect the way of life, the respect they had for the earth and the traditions they celebrated. Looking at photos like the ones below, you can see the pride of life on the faces,






Of all of the places the two legged ones visited, they think this was the most interesting.

Tomorrow, we are hanging out in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

W

Oh yeah, a special shout out to Miss Tracy, Fancy, Rudy, Princess, Sarah and Candy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment